top of page

 Aron's Story

Carter's Little Brother


Three months after Carter passed, Dan and I were shocked and scared to find out we were pregnant again. We now knew what could happen and all of the possibilities that aren't talked about when you become pregnant. The pregnancy was immediately deemed high risk due to an incompetent cervix and prior preterm labor. At 15 weeks I received a cervical cerclage and started weekly progesterone injections. We found ourselves living in a constant state of fear and anxiety, with our guard up trying to protect ourselves if we lose this baby boy too.


Our fears became a reality at 18 weeks - my cervix started shortening. I was put on bedrest along with daily progesterone. Three weeks later, my cervical length was gone and funneling began. It was at this time we were having the difficult conversation with the neonatal team of the possibility of losing another son. We had many scares throughout these weeks and found ourselves at the hospital almost weekly.


At 23 weeks and 6 days, I was admitted to the hospital (the same gestational age as Carter), given the first round of steroids for baby’s lungs and remained at the hospital on bedrest. We chose to stay at the hospital and with the team who delivered Carter because they were our family. At this point, we knew he could come at any point but every single day that passed was a big milestone. At 27 weeks, my water broke and contractions started. The team started magnesium to help protect the baby's brain, gave the second round of steroids for baby's lung development, and started me on antibiotics. Thankfully, the contractions subsided.


Then, at 29 weeks and 3 days, I began to have contractions again but there was no tension on the cerclage stitches. Something just felt different. After 15 hours of contractions, I spiked a fever and had high white blood cell counts - I had the same infection we had with Carter. It was immediately decided the cerclage had to be removed - I was 4 centimeters dilated behind the stitch and baby boy was presenting himself. It was immediate controlled chaos as we were rushed to have an emergency C-section. 

Aron Parker was born on October 9, at 9:08pm, weighing 3 pounds, 8 ounces. After 36 days on home bedrest, 41 days in the hospital on bedrest, and 49 days in the NICU, we brought our son Aron home the day before Thanksgiving. After 7 days home, we found ourselves in the NICU for the third time in 12 months - Aron had RSV. We had our second homecoming a week later and now Aron is healthy, wireless and here with us tonight.


I know big brother Carter is watching over as we honor him and celebrate Aron.

bottom of page